Dullstroom's village and farm environment offers the ideal opportunity for families to bond in beautiful natural surroundings - be it at trout waters, on horseback, bird watching or engaging in the vast variety of nature related activities.
Children of all ages are welcomed into establishments - even the pubs are family (and dog) friendly. (Granted - the odd hotel or two offers protection against under 12's.)
- Wildflower@Dullstroom Club undertakes regular veld excursions to view wild flowers in the region. A programme for 2012 appears here.
- Dullstroom Country Cottages: 9 km on Lydenburg Road. Horse and pony rides.Â
- Clay pigeon shooting: at Field and Stream, 8 km from Dullstroom on the Tonteldoos Road. Call Frank on
080 781-0242 or Greg on 083 443-4567. R350 per 25 shots
- Dullstroom Riding Centre: 082 442 9766;
Situated at The Owl and Oak Centre 9 km towards Lydenburg. Horse rides available hourly, pony rides for children under 12 yrs. All rides take place under supervision of Dave Curtis. Contact Dave for bookings.
- Elandskloof: 5km on Machado rd. 013 2540136; 082 922 6835. Pony rides, donkey cart rides, mountain bike trails.
- Ross van Reenen Riding Centre offers pony rides for small children, and
wonderful outrides for the more experienced rider. Call him on 078 245 9538
- Kruisfontein road: 42km self-drive loop around town 2km either side of town. Enquire on the condition of the roads, as it changes according to the season and rainfall.
- The Lowveld and "Big five towns" Pilgrim's Rest, Sabie, Hazyview, Graskop are an hour and a half's drive from Dullstroom.
- Visit Tonteldoos’ attractions: 24km dirt road - high clearance vehicle in rainy season: By appointment only: local products on purchase Kristalwater Mampoer Distillery 013 2540722
See and taste the fruit of the kettle
- Bergen Cheese: Danie 013 254-0073
Taking the dairy industry back a 100yrs - makers of natural organic cheeses, no colourants or preservatives. Cheese making courses must be booked at least 4 weeks in advance. They run from Monday to Thursday only.
- DULLSTROOM ADVENTURES “Quad Division”
1/2 hour: R250; 1 hours R360; 1/2 day (3 hours): R950; Full day (6 hours): R1 800
DASHA: 073 076 0782 For Bookings and Information
Further activities to follow soon.
Dullstroom's high altitude (the nearby De Berg is 2300m above sea level) makes it a popular training ground for athletes from all over the world. The celebrity list includes cyclists, long distance runners, ice skaters, race walkers and orienteering athletes - from Comrades winners to Olympic gold medallists.
- Walkersons Country Manor Spa 012 253-7000
- Vygenhoek Organic Spa. (013)254-0769 Web site
- Highland Rose Spa: Estelle on 082 570-2296
- Trevor Conn Hair Studio: 084 900-0948
- Hair Studio & Brookielace Barn 084 356 5770
Dullstroom Altitude Training Centre Gym
Open:Mondays-Fridays:06h00 - 8h00 and 17h00 - 19h00
Closed Weekends and Public Holidays
Lydenburg Altitude Training Centre Gym
Tel:013 235 3042
Open:Mondays-Fridays:05h00 - 20h00
Saturdays:06h00 - 12h00
Closed Sundays and Public Holidays
We Offer:Free Weights,Circuit,Aerobics,Spinning and Training Programs
- Tennis courts next to Critchley Corner - key at Milly'sÂ
- Golf: Lydenburg (65km) 013 235-2537
Belfast (36km) 9 hole 013 253-0981; or club captain Willem van der Merwe on 082 436-8352
- I-create the place to make your inspiration come alive.
- Dimitrov Art 082 679-5698
- Dullstroom DVD/Video Shop and Internet Service (established 2001) @ Dullstroom Centre next to Le Bamba Supermarket.. Mon-Sun 10:00-19:00 Contact:013 254-0454. We offer: DVD‘s, Machine hire, Email, Web browsing, Copuing, Faxes, Laminating and Computer consumables
Plant Palette cleaning, laundry, garden service 082 446 6051
Dullstroom is home to the three endangered cranes and particularly the scarce wattled crane. The Highland Crane Group (tel 013 2540191) do intensive research in the area. Verlorenvallei (tel 013 2540799 by appointment only) has been declared a Ramsar-site and hosts a wide variety of field orchids.
- Verloren Valei Nature Reserve 013 2540799
Guided tours strictly by prior appointment. The reserve is open for special interest groups such as birders, orchid societies, butterfly, Field Trail clubs and wing shooting for sustainable utilisation.
Flowering peak: Nov to Jan.
Our neighbouring village Tonteldoos, is home to the beautiful yellow arum lily Zantedeschia pentlandii, the Reitzii aloe and rare orchid species like the Disa zuluensis.
- Bird of Prey and Rehabilitation Centre one kilometer out of town on the Belfast Road; 013 2540777;
open 9:00 - 16:30.
Daily live displays at 10:30 & 14:30 - see the hunting and survival techniques of raptors.
- Highlands Crane Group - crane outings 013 254-0191
Dullstroom has numerous eateries excluding dining facilities at the hotels in the area. Some epicureans travel from Gauteng for lunch - no effort too great for a fine meal and warm ambience. See contact details for all the eateries here
- Report at the caravan park at the Dullstroom dam, pay R5 entry fee and go for a lazy stroll around Dullstrooms beautiful dams, or ascend Groot Suikerboschkop for lovely views of the area. Hike to the historical Anglo-Boer war fort and cemetery 2km out of town for more info report at the info offices.